FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just wanted to get this thread started and i'll post up details and pictures once they are all uploaded. i'm working on that right now.

what a GREAT DAY. the weather was perfect...no dust, nice and slick in the washes since it had been raining out there for 2 days prior, nice and cool.......

we started out about 10ish and went down rodriquez into the dessert, thru split mtn, down diablo dropoff, past the mud caves........ended up at the XL gas station at around 5ish. Ralphie and Bluefj continued on to coyote canyon/sheep canyon. i would have gone but had some major trail carnage (pics and more details to follow)........

my UCA was coming apart...ouch....so i drove home like an old lady with my tire all tweaked. not a pretty site and i'm glad i noticed it when i did. hubby is outside making repairs and rebuilding as i type.
i'm not too happy with what happened with my UCA but the saying is true....i guess you get what you pay for. i put on aftermarkets from toytec (light racing) which i got thru the blue room on group buy. its not a uni-ball style (which i'm going to save up for and purchase as soon as i can). phils going to have to weld some metal on these to keep them from "sliding" again. last night he was super pissed off thinking that i BROKE SOMETHING AGAIN....but once he was able to see them in the daylight and really see what happened....hes chill now. whew!!
i guess it could have been the sliding sideways in the mud that could have caused my damage....but jeez...thats what i thougth these aftermarket parts were made to handle. i definately dont wheel as hard as some of you guys do....

so anyways...let me get my pics uploaded and i'll add more details of our run.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

tweeked looking tire. it wasnt pretty

This is the bolt that slipped......it should be down near the pencil and finger

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I don't want to post too soon, in case there's more - if so, I'll delete this post to keep things together -

Whoa! How did that bolt slip? Is everything else OK? I can't tell from the pics. And the pics are great! Very nice!

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FJDave said:
I don't want to post too soon, in case there's more - if so, I'll delete this post to keep things together -

Whoa! How did that bolt slip? Is everything else OK? I can't tell from the pics. And the pics are great! Very nice!
thats exactly what we are trying to figure out. we had it all torqued to specs by both phil and the awesome alignment shop we go to. i wasnt going crazy but i did get sideways a few times in the muddy washes...i wasnt flying.....still a mystery. i'm not too crazy for these adjustable (shifting) uca's right about now. i emailed toytec so hopefully i'll hear back from them soon.

i just took pics of phils "fix". he fabricated a brace to put on it so prevent the slip. it'll work for now. actually...it'll be perfect now. :) not sure why light racing didnt do something like this to prevent this from happening. easy and cheap fix.
be right back with pics.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
phils fabricating talent......this is what he made up as a limiter....hes going to make up a few more sets if anyone needs some that has these uca's....let me know.

lets hope nothing was bent. i'm bringing it down to alignment shop on tuesday for a check up. :)

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
Thats a very cool looking bracket no slip going to happen there again. Maybe phil can fab up a few sets of these and make a killing on these for everyone else in the group buy ;D...Just saying he did a great job.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sanderhawk said:
Thats a very cool looking bracket no slip going to happen there again. Maybe phil can fab up a few sets of these and make a killing on these for everyone else in the group buy ;D...Just saying he did a great job.
he is going to make up a bunch of sets out of stronger steel and not to say that i'm going to hand out free ones to everyone...but i'll pass some on to my wheeling and forum buddies....if anyone else wants a set they can donate a few bucks to the cause. ha ha ha BUT...then again....they'd have to make sure tires and settings are the same as mine ;D....he cut out that opening according to our settings. it is a great bracket. i think they'll be better then ever now. :) (or hopefully........and i'm still hoping that i didnt bend up any other major parts in there.) everything else looks good.

i emailed toytec today...and i've already gotten 2 emails from Doug. i sent him a bunch of the same pictures and hes going to forward and talk to Light Racing directly on monday and figure out if it was an install issue or defective part.

(i'm really hi-jacking my own thread with all this uca chit!) :) oh well....thats ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts