FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We met at Matt's house at about 11:15 am. We went to lunch, then headed out to Lytle Creek. The weather was beautiful. It was about 68 in the mountains at 6100 feet. Not a cloud in the sky. The Mainsters, MudLovingFJ and I started by airing down just inside the trail head. Anyone will recognize Matt in this picture: :D

We continued on, and instead of staying on the trail we went through a VERY rocky wash. We stopped for pictures and a hill climb (Britt got the pictures of the hill climb):

We continued on to the top, where my fear of heights REALLY got to me. The view was simply gorgeous, but the cliffs we were driving next to just were a little much....that, coupled with the soft gravel, I held everyone back by driving so darned slow...I'm sorry about that guys!

2 1/2 hours after we started, we were at the bottom of the mountain, airing back up.

Man, this was one GREAT day of wheeling. Honestly, I wish it didn't end. I'll be going back there soon. And I wait rather impatiently for the next trail run.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Lytle Creek 11-17-08

Oops....forgot to mention that I got some AWESOME pinstripes on this trip...the driver side from the yellow light all the way back to the red tail light....nice and deep. Oh well. All part of the fun!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

Great report guys. Such a fun and easy to access area. Did you guys go all the way around to Lone Pine?

·
Banned
3,370 Posts

That hill climb... hahahah

Who else was there when i got so high the damn thing stalled?? :D :D That was hilarious!
t

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts

DominicG said:
That hill climb... hahahah

Who else was there when i got so high the damn thing stalled?? :D :D That was hilarious!
t
Dave's rig stalled too when it got up that high.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yup....stalled and started to slide back down on its own....kinda scary, but it worked out good!

·
Registered
69 Posts

Awesome pics guys! I've heard of Lytle Creek but I've never seen pics of it. Looks like another fun place to check out.

That 2nd pic going up the hill is pretty damn crazy! Looks like a 50deg incline or more!

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts

socals said:
Awesome pics guys! I've heard of Lytle Creek but I've never seen pics of it. Looks like another fun place to check out.

That 2nd pic going up the hill is pretty damn crazy! Looks like a 50deg incline or more!
Looks to me like a 38 degree hill and a 10 degree camera tilt ;D

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts

I would like to go to lytle creek again the one and only time I was there was at our meet at claremont toyota and the 90% of the trail was closed because a fire

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The gate to the Mt Baldy ski area was still closed/locked. Too bad....I was looking forward to that - even with my heights issue ;D

Piper....it was close to 40-42 degrees. I don't have a dash gauge pack, so I couldn't say for sure. But it was steep enough to stall the engine with 3/4 tank of fuel, and steep enough to make me slide backwards with the brake pedal mashed. It was really fun! But yeah, there was a little camera tilt according to the photographer. He said it was to adjust for the tilt his rig was on. :D

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

lol at tony, looks like a fun time wish i didnt have work so i could go..

·
Registered
16 Posts

Ok guys you are part of the adopt-a-trail program and know about staying on the trails. It took me and a few others a hour to try to hide that hill climb this weekend. please stay on the trails if you want a challenge do cleghammer, that is the cleghorn trail and all the bypasses are leagle to do. I'm part of adopt-a-trail and an OHV volinteer and work hard to keep areas open for everyone. I know you meant no harm but if one does it the next gu will too. OK I till step off my soap box now I am still waiting for my invite to your adopt-a-trail group. I'm out four wheeling most every week and would like to join you next time out.

Patricia

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

Patricia, you don't need an invitation. It's open to whoever wants to participate. Just PM Mattmainster to get access to that part of the forum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts