FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction: For approximately one year, Main Divide has been closed due to the 2007 Santiago Fire. On November 10, 2008, the closure was lifted and my son Lucas and I took that opportunity to run it. As I recall from running this many years ago, it is an excellent 2WD trail and I’m always looking for trails to get our 2WD brothers and sisters out in the fun so off we went to pre-run it (in 2WD).

Trail Run: Main Divide (3S04) is not entirely open yet but we were able to take it from Ortega Highway (74) to Bedford Road (4S03) in Corona. We entered North Main Divide from Ortega Highway. This road starts off as asphalt then at approximately 4.2 miles, it turns into dirt at the gate that was the point of closure for the 2007 Santiago Fire. For the rest of the road, terrain types varied from dirt to coarse sand to small sharp rocks.

Trail Summary: This trail run was relatively quiet and uneventful. I noticed what appeared to be a few illegal trails but cannot be sure until after I speak to the Forest Service. I think a few additional signs and repainting of some existing signage is in order to keep the trail easier to navigate.

There was not too much litter around but after we get involved with the Forestry Services volunteer program, I think we’ll come up with a plan of attack to rapidly remove litter if it does start to appear.

I came across two separate groups of mountain bikers and two separate groups of hikers, one group of which was hiking with three large retrievers. In all instances I pulled to the side of the road a good 75 feet before meeting them to keep dust down and reduce fears then waved them on to pass. As they passed my vehicle, I said hello and asked if they were OK or needed any water. They all responded they were OK but I heard the group of hikers with the dogs as they walked off talking about what a nice thing that was for that guy in the 4x4 to ask if we were OK. I learned to do this from the Trail Teams training in Big Bear during one of the classes as an effort to help get the good word of our presence out there on these trails.

Test Results: Vibration testing for the Rosen head rest LCD screens: Report from Lucas stated that there was some interruptions and skipping of the Looney Tunes DVD’s during the bumpy parts of the run. Next time I'll air down and see if that fixes it.

Photos: I took a total of 115 photos on this solo run and for obvious reasons could not post them all. I did narrow down the photos to try and capture a lot of the terrain to show what to expect and couldn't resist but to post some photos of the amazing views. I hope you enjoy them...

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
North Main Divide, shortly after entering from Ortega Highway

North Main Divide Gate straight ahead, It's Open!

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

At the end of Bedford Motorway. Hang a left to get on the 15 at Weirick Road

We stopped at Toms Farms for lunch before heading home.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The last time we did Main Divide, it was really foggy, and the east half of the trail was closed still. It was beautiful scenery then, but looking at your pics and how it looks when the sky is clear, the scenery is breath taking! And in one of your first pics, I could see an illegal hill climb...funny how we see that stuff when we do the AAT stuff ;D Nice report man, and GREAT pictures!!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
that trail looks like a nice easy run for beginners, sounds like fun hope to do it soon

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts
My son and I did all those illegal trails when we were out there. How can you tell if they are illegal or just a side challenge like Cleghorn has. All those trails are well traveled. I curious to know the difference.

·
Registered
376 Posts

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jrock said:
YES!!! [email protected]@[email protected]

Is the trail entrance from Santiago Canyon open??

I think I'm going tomorrow night...
No it is not. I believe in another month or so, that will open. So for now, it's a round trip from Ortega Highway or exit in Corona

·
Registered
402 Posts
What about blackstar canyon? When if ever will that open? That would be nice if either blackstar canyon or maple springs opened up soon, that way you could run from ortega to santiago canyon, making it easier to get back home if you like in orange county.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts