FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trail run went great, and a good time was had by all.

We had:

CADavebert and Molly
Cruiser4 and Zach

We met up at the Best Buy in Tustin at 6:30, taking advantage of the time change, then headed out. We got gas and final supplies at the gas station across the street from Target in Apple Valley, then headed out to get to the trail via Grapevine Road. Just as last time, there were hunters everywhere. We skipped the campground and headed straight for the trail. There were A LOT of nice mud puddles along Horse Springs Road and 3N14, and the kids loved all the splashing.

Once at the trail, we saw how our barricades from early September were still in place. Even the signs at Luna mountain were still there, and you could see how some vehicles had recently opted NOT to go up as a result of the signs.

Between the trail head and Luna, we picked up trash, and were glad to see that there wasn't that much to be found. We also tried the racking method to try and hide the trails, with marginal results. I'm not sure it will work without some seeding at the same time, although the local vegetation seems to be in a seed state, so we might be OK. We only did this on one trail, as it was VERY windy in spots.

Also, it looked like most of our fence repairs have held so far. I did not see any breaches in the area we worked before. There is one big breach that I saw, but it is past the area where Josh had his break down.

So, here are some pictures....

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Kids / Geocaching on 3N59A - November 2

Across the road from Luna Mountain, we placed a geocache. I am still setting it up on geocaching.com, and will post the details when available.

We then moved on to where the 55 gallon drum barrel is located, which is where an existing geocache was located. It was an old Playdough container, with camouflage plastic tape wrapped around it. Zach found the container in the rocks, but the lid and all the contents were gone. It appeared that something with small teeth decided it was a snack. We put a couple small items in the box, ironically including an OtterBox sticker I had in my truck. ;D

Here's Molly holding the now repaired (with Duct tape from Cruiser4) container.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts

glad to see the signs and posts are still up. looks like the kids had a blast.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Moving down the road, we took one of the BLM open route paths to get closer to yet another geocache near our trail. This one is at the top of a STEEP hill. I think we were a bit crazy for trying, but everyone made it up and down safely, we were able to find the cache, and the kids (all 4 of us ;) ) got very tired.

Picture from below...

Picture looking down from up top...

And the cache...

We also had some other photo-ops along the path in various places...

Mike (aka Cruiser4) also took some pictures that we should see soon.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

On the way to the cache at the top of the steep climb, we came across another Man Purple FJ, with license plates of "Dirty FJ". He and his wife were glad to see some other dirty FJ's, as they were out looking for Pheasants. I gave him a card, and told them about the trail adoption, so hopefully we'll see him here soon.

PS - Thanks MattMainster. Not sure what you did, but I had no errors while posting up these threads with pictures! Kudos!!!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

Oh man, that's really cool! I wish I could've made it. Caitlyn had fun playing with Molly too. I'm glad to see the repairs held up and the signs are working. Come Spring time, we may have to make a trip to reseed some of the areas. What's Mike's comment on the area? Did you guys get to talk about more strategies?

·
Registered
94 Posts

We had a great time. I wish I had a photo of Zach's face when he saw CADavebert start down that first hill. His eyes bugged out when he saw one of the rear tires get air. It was "oh my" all the way down. He really liked finding the cache as well. I'll post some photos soon.

As for the trail, my guess is that some people see the sensitive species signs and just stay on the what they tink is the established trail. I would probably just swap that sign for a illegal trail one of some kind. If you agree I'll be happy to swap the signs.

I think the raking helps, but adding some planting would be good too. We can discuss it further but I'm guessing under a different thread.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

The "Sensitive Species" was a sign that we had. Illegal trails signs are kind of small and I didn't think would've been effective. Those are the ones that that were on the carbonites.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

Nice shots Mike. That mud must have been fun!

·
Registered
94 Posts

The mud was second to the look on my sons face. We are itching to get out again soon. I was trying to talk my son into going to Pismo this weekend for his b-day but couldn't convince him.

On the other hand I think he might be getting a geocache to place for himself for his birthday. ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts