FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introduction:
Well this run started out as an easy family run through some trails in Calico. The goal was to find Kramer Arch, then head over to Tin Can Alley on through to Bismarck mine. I had been to this area once before but lacked the experience and the modifications to explore these trails.

Trail Run / Summary: We started out at 9:00am. This really turned into a combination of three marked trails. The first part is Mule Canyon Rd. It is an easy 2WD road and offers some interesting views of the rock formations and mines in this area. From this road branched several other trails. The first detour we took was Phillips Drive. This is a moderate trail that does require 4WD. There are a couple of technical sections that make it fun. There is also a natural arch named Kramer’s Arch that you can drive through. You will need A-Trac or a locker since you will be on three wheels. A spotter helps too. After playing around an the Arch and looking in the small mine to the right of it we continued through the trail and rejoined Mule Canyon rd. We took the left turn at Rock in the Road and drove past Tin Can Alley. This looked more impressive in the trail book but the cans are older than I am and the kids thought it was neat. Mom made tetanus shot appointments and we continued on to Bismarck Mines. Route finding was a little tricky so have a good map, GPS, and guide book.

We arrived at the mine around 11:00. This area was really cool but potentially dangerous. It is a popular place to stop and have lunch. We met several other clubs in the course of an hour. From here we headed up the trail to a look out point that had a great view of Yermo! At this point we should have turned around but we saw a trail heading down the side of the mountain. My friend said “I am game if you are” and off we went.

This side trail by pass the first two water falls of “Doran Scenic Dr”….but not the last! The trail itself was difficult and required all the tricks the FJ has. You will need a lift and skids and rock rails. You will be using these items quite heavily. We had to stop a few times to move rocks, jack up a truck to pile more rocks, and pick lines. Both vehicles suffered minor damage but I gained quit a bit of confidence in my FJ and we even impressed of a few of the other Jeeps.

Once we cleared the waterfall we were left with the ridiculous amount of rocks that are the rest of this trail. We came to a bypass and decided we had had enough fun for the day and need to get home. Unfortunately the by-pass was completely washed out and we were in for another tough obstacle. My buddy, who was in a Ford bronco was a little to big and ended up braking his rear tail light. The Fj made it through no problem.

We exited at the Calico campground and aired up at 4:30pm

Photos:Mule Canyon Rd

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Calico Run. Mule Caynon, Bismarck, Phillips Dr, and Doran Scenic Dr

Kramer Arch, don't forget to fold in your mirrors.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Bismarck Mine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

By-pass in to Doran Scenic Dr

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Off the water fall. The big guy in the pics is just shy of 6' for your reference. The other gentleman was a leading a group of Jeeps and was kind enough to spot.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Damage! Which actually got cheers from the Jeepers watching and my kids thought it was the funniest thing ever when it popped off.
All in all it was a fun run. I think it would make a great group run if we stuck to Mule Canyon and Phillips Dr. You could even combine it with 2WDs and meet at Bismark.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

looks like an amazing day, the waterfall would have scared the jeebus out of me

·
Registered
2,599 Posts

good times...need to make my way out there sometime.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

raYGunn

This is by Calico Ghost Town just outside of Barstow CA off the 15 freeway. The water fall is one of the obstacles on Doran/Odessa Loop. There are three others but I lack the skill, and the rig to run them. The first one is called the gate keeper, and I have only seen the purpose built truggies take that with out a winch.

http://dirtopia.com/wiki/Doran/Odessa_Loop

Calico is a fun area if you have never been. There are easy stock SUV friendly trails, moderate trails to work on your skills, and then just stupid hard.

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
11,488 Posts

Wow I have been wanting to go do some trails out in Calico but theres no way I would do that waterfall I don`t have skids yet . Its a good thing you had a buddy with you that would have been scary as hell by yourself.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Sanderhawk said:
Wow I have been wanting to go do some trails out in Calico but theres no way I would do that waterfall I don`t have skids yet . Its a good thing you had a buddy with you that would have been scary as hell by yourself.
There is no way I would do this trail by myself. Actually I try not go anyware by myself anymore. Having someone with more experience than you and who knows how to pick a line, and better yet spot you through it, makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

Great report Brian. I want get out there too! This post made me search for Mir207's old post. I didn't remember the steep drop being as bad as yours. It looks like the elements have done a number and the trail deteriorated badly since Mir ran it year and a halve ago.

Early Saturday? :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Early Saturday would be the only way. We have dinner plans in Ontario at 6:00 so I would need to be off the trails by 2:00pm. If we just run Phillips and up to Bismarck we could make that easily. I need to check with the Wife though.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Checked with the wife and I think this weekend will be tough. I really want to explore some of the other trails I saw and find a couple of other features. I would hate to be rushed for time. There is an old stone cabin and a couple of look out points that we did not get to as well. What about next weekend the 15th?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

15th... feels like there's something going on, but just can't remember. Darn it Brian, you made me all excited about that area. :D I say, let's go Monday! ;D

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I hear ya. Check your schedule. Of course nothing says you can't go without me! :(

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

Will do. So this will be a pre-pre run. :D I wouldn't want to do it alone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts