FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up going Sunday the 27th. Holy Jim was not what I thought it would be but I still had fun. Mostly a dirt road, I didn't need 4WD to get to Holy Jim. The side trails at the beginning were the most fun and challenging and I definitely used the 4WD. I saw 2 FJ's parked at the entrance, both of them looked to be out Mountain Biking. Very dry out there this time of year. Here's a few pics of my first outing. ;D

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
---- Holy Jim

dfpgreg said:
I ended up going Sunday the 27th. Holy Jim was not what I thought it would be but I still had fun. Mostly a dirt road, I didn't need 4WD to get to Holy Jim. The side trails at the beginning were the most fun and challenging and I definitely used the 4WD. I saw 2 FJ's parked at the entrance, both of them looked to be out Mountain Biking. Very dry out there this time of year. Here's a few pics of my first outing. ;D

[/quote]

In Picture two, did you go to the end of that side trail. I was in that exact spot on Saturday but decided not to follow up and turned around. I was curious if you did go up there or anybody else knows what is up there? Also, what part of the LBC you from?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
---- Holy Jim

It looked a little sketchy and I didn't wan't to have to back down. My buddy walked to the top and said it continued a little ways up and to the left. I was unsure of how far it went though. I would like to try it if I had a spotter. I live in downtown Long Beach, right next to Pine St.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
---- Holy Jim

dfpgreg said:
It looked a little sketchy and I didn't want to have to back down. My buddy walked to the top and said it continued a little ways up and to the left. I was unsure of how far it went though. I would like to try it if I had a spotter. I live in downtown Long Beach, right next to Pine St.
Very cool! I work in Belmont shore and I will look for your rig when in downtown. I work that part of town from time to time.

·
Registered
79 Posts
---- Holy Jim

Holy Jim is where I got my off road start. Good place to learn. I found a trail to the left of "the big puddle" that has an unlocked gate. I took my Rover a few miles back. It gets fun up there. Keep me posted if any of you are heading out there this Sunday 8-2. I see a few of you are in the LBC, I am in HB so we could meet on the way and head up. I have a buddy with a 4Runner that lives right there that might go too. I have yet to get the FJ in the dirt and I can't wait!

·
Registered
79 Posts
---- Holy Jim

I think it was named after the guy who found it? I read the sign telling about it, but it's been years.

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts
---- Holy Jim

FunJunkie said:
So why is it called Holy Jim?? ???
Holy Jim Trail:
"Jim Smith was a talker—no ordinary talker. . . a man given to blasphemous eloquence. When he started cussing. . . he could peel paint off a stove pipe."

The canyon was named for James T. Smith, who was known as"old cussin' Jim" because of his colorful language. A beekeeper who settled in the north fork of Trabuco Canyon, he enlarged a house built in the 1870s and planted figs.

When government surveyors plotted the canyon they chose "Holy Jim," rather than "Cussin' Jim", to place on their maps. They thought this was more appropriate.

The Talking Mountain:
Looking northwest up to the ridgeline you can see Santiago Peak, or the "talking mountain", named for the many electronic antennas and transmitting stations at the summit. From Santiago Peak, cellular telephone and microwave signals are transmitted all over the Los Angeles basin.
Santiago Peak was called Kalawpa by the Luiseno Indians, who knew it as the home of a powerful spirit. Later the Spanish named it Santiago Peak, however at 5,687 feet above sea level, it is easily recognized by the local residents who call it, together with its neighbor Modjeska Peak, "Old Saddleback."

Interesting Notes
Beekeeping:
The chief source of income during the early days of the American settler period came from beekeeping. A single beekeeper could maintain up to 100 stands of hives. Honey thefts and hive damage by bears were common in the canyon, and were a significant factor in eliminating the grizzly bear in this area.

Last of the Grizzly:
Cussin' Jim's place was one of the last bee ranches in operation in the canyon. Thus, it was a frequent stop of a grizzly bear who was called "the honey thief." During 1907, this old honey thief destroyed 30 bee stands in Holy Jim and Trabuco Canyons. A trap was set for the honey thief, the bear was caught, but escaped with two hunters close behind. The hunters tracked the bear throughout the canyons for a month. The honey thief was finally brought down near the mouth of Trabuco Canyon - he was the last grizzly in the Santa Ana Mountains Forest.

Summer Cabins:
The cabins visible along the Trabuco and Holy Jim Creeks are privately owned but located on National Forest system land by Special Use permit. Most were originally constructed in the 1930s. In the early years of the National Forest, the cabins encouraged the nearby town dwellers to visit the forest for recreational get-aways.

Bear Spring - Main Divide Road:
Named for the many sightings of grizzly bears in the area, Bear Spring is marked today by a tank and horse trough, built by the Forest Service for fire fighting and livestock.

Public Land:
In 1893 President Benjamin Harrison set aside the 50,000 acre Trabuco Canyon Forest Reserve to protect the water supply for Orange County. In 1908, the Reserve was combined with other federal lands to become the Cleveland National Forest.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
---- Holy Jim

lemmy_k said:
Holy Jim is where I got my off road start. Good place to learn. I found a trail to the left of "the big puddle" that has an unlocked gate. I took my Rover a few miles back. It gets fun up there. Keep me posted if any of you are heading out there this Sunday 8-2. I see a few of you are in the LBC, I am in HB so we could meet on the way and head up. I have a buddy with a 4Runner that lives right there that might go too. I have yet to get the FJ in the dirt and I can't wait!
Midnight Run this Saturday 8-2, check out the trail run for the details. You should come...

·
Registered
79 Posts
---- Holy Jim

I'd love to go, but I don't think my first trip off road should be in the dark.
I have to dispose of the Land Rover Saturday and if that all goes well, I am going to try to go Sunday.
Thanks for the invite, though. It's killin' me to have such a clean car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts