FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be doing a pre-run this weekend, for a camping expidition June 27-29. I will be running through DV on a loop that take in the northern end of the park, and possibly include Scotty's castle, Uhebebe crater, the racetrack, Lippencot, Saline, and camping on top of the White Mtns. Most of the afternoon will hopefully be spent at higher elevations, and the temps will only be in the seventies. Day Two will involve Wyman canyon, and Silver canyon, as well as a stop in order for me to drive into a mine shaft, no kidding. Also, a possible stop at Bodie. The temps at night should be in the low 60's, but during the day, it will be in the 70's, unless we go into DV. What is nice about the White mtns. I plan to do an official run the weekend of June 27-29, and would like to see what is feasible on this run. Anybody up for the challenge?

The point of the pre-run is to finds trails at higher elevations, but I still want to offer the chance to see some of DV.

Reaching the White Mountains and the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest from Bishop, California is about a 1 hour drive. Travel south (14 mi / 23km) on hwy 395 to Big Pine, then east up hwy 168 to the White Mountain Road (13 mi / 21km). Here we turn left and continue the remaining 7 miles (11km) up to Schulman Grove at 10,100' (3048m). Several vista turnouts are located on the White Mt. Road, the most spectactular being Sierra View Overlook (see panoramic photo above).

Grandview Campground, on the way up, is where I plan to meet, if anyone is intersested.

Here are some of the trails i'm interested in.

Reconnoitering in the Great Basin & Eastern Sierra By 4x4 - Champion Sparkplug Mine

Reconnoitering in the Great Basin & Eastern Sierra By 4x4 - Eureka Valley to Gilbert Summit

Reconnoitering in the Great Basin & Eastern Sierra By 4x4 - White Mountain Crossing

Reconnoitering in the Great Basin & Eastern Sierra By 4x4 - Wyman Creek to Crooked Creek

As I promised, I plan to drive into a mine shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: White Mtns/Death Valley June 13-15 Pre-run

I wish you could too, Brian, but NP, I might be the only one, unless Bobonel want to come, hint hint.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Jean would kill me two weekends in a row but I would love to go.

May be able to make the real run if that is open for entry...

·
NOT a moderator!
3,224 Posts

I would love to go but I will not be operable in time. Just sent the damaged shock off to all-pro and my poor vehicle is sitting still in the Driveway. Good thing i didn't get rid of the 4-Runner yet. Have a good time and be sure to get pics of the obsticles you encounter.

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
8,396 Posts

yeah I damaged something too last run, I think it's a U joint or clutch plate spring. I hope it's the U. I get a major clunk anytime Put it into or out of gear but only if I'm gassing it. I'd soooo go since I still have no famly around for a couple more weeks but I think I need to get tis issue fixed asap!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Well this is just the prerun, but at the end of june, I will be putting together a trip.

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I just updated the first post with more info, let me know if you're intersted

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts

Another excuse:

I WANT to go, but not sure about the gas funds since Summit is coming up. :(

·
Premium Member
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

This is just the pre-run, if I don't post Monday, I'm lost and I'm probally dead, cause all the lame excuses, I had to go out by myself. :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts