FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2008/06/13-15 White Mountains Pre-run

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  spertierra 
#1 ·
I did my pre-run of the White Mountains. Originally, I planned driving up Wyman canyon, and back down the other side on Silver canyon rd. These are easy to moderate trails, and nice for sightseeing, but there was something else I wanted to try. I had read of a trailhttp://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/w-c.htm, that had never been included in a guidebook. From the "RECONNOITERING* IN THE EASTERN SIERRA NEVADA & GREAT BASIN BY 4-WHEEL-DRIVE", this is what they wrote"Roger Mitchell, in his SUV Trails series of books says this road is impassable. Local wags tell me the same. I think it's time to take a little reconnoiter and find out for myself. Maybe it is impassible, maybe it's the best kept secret in the White Mountains." Well, I just had to know the truth about this one, so I made a change in plans.

I started the morning driving thru the desolate Deep Springs valley, to the trail head. Wyman Canyon itself is worth the trip, with an abundance of scenery

After 7 miles, I turned onto the start of the crooked creek trail. I climbed up a ridgelin for about a mile, and crested it to find a very remote area of exceeding beauty.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: White mountains pre-run part 2

[Due to this site wasting 3 hours of my time on a trail report that dissapeared the first time around, this time, I am post in several chunks :mad:]

I drove down into dead horse meadows, through several gulches. At 3.5 miles, the road turns left. Here, I took a a side road that looked promising. It went a couple of miles, but petered out. Some challenging sections, made this side trip worth it, although nerve racking.

After returning to the main trail, I got back to bussiness. At 4.5 miles, all prior knowledge of the trail ended, the trail description will become less detailed. I knew that the only trail description ended at a mountain climb up switchbacks. I proceeded up the switch backs which were steep, narrow, obstacle littered, and fun.

Very hazy, but you can see all the way to Death Valley(or at least Eureka Valley, and the dunes)

Obviously, this trail is still in use, about halfway up the mountain, I came across minning operations, both old and new.

As can be seen, the road is narrow, and boulder strewn. I hit one boulder with my bumper, bounced up and landed on my slider, while trying to avoid the drop down the mountain.

#3 ·
Re: White mountains pre-run part 3

At the top, the road becomes very rocky, and slow going. It also became near impossible to see, as it blended in with the surrounding terrain.

Can you spot the trail?

Sitting on top of the world.

Dropping into the valley that crooked creek runs through.

The road starts improving

The road goes on

As far as I'm concerned, mission acomplished, I reached the Crooked Creek research center.

The drive took about 4 hours, 25 miles, and is by far, one of the best trails I have ever driven.

#5 ·
Re: White mountains pre-run part 4

Now here is the pay-off, the ancient bristcone pine forrest. The oldest living trees(or any other plant or animal for that matter) on the planet. These trees grow at extreme altitude, and can live 4,000 years or more. The oldest one was accidently cut down by a researcher, in the 60's. It was aged over 4,800 years old.

Taking the high road

#7 ·
Re: White mountains pre-run

Ya, very cool.

#8 ·
Re: White mountains pre-run part 5

Driving to my campsite on White mtn rd

And finnally, the campsite.

I had started 9:30 at about 3000 ft, temp 84f.
At the end, 6 hours later, I had climbed to 11,400ft, where the temperature at 3:30, was 64f. I had gone from high desrt, to high mountain peaks, with views of Death Valley, Nevada, Mt Whitney, and the Owens Valley, sometimes all at once.

#13 ·

RicoVerde said:
Nice job Steve.

You are a true adventurer taking on uncharted trails with no back up rig.

Cant wait for this run!
Thx

Not my first choice running it by myself, but it was fathers day, and my off-roading buddy Justin, was doing the dad thing this weekend. There was a stream that ran the entire distance, and I had emergency supplies, but yeah, it got spooky, not seeing anybody.

I will try to figure a date relatively soon, but Ouray is around the corner, so I'm not sure.

#16 ·

FJVP said:
Would this trail be 2wd (Lifted with FOX, e locker and LSD) friendly?
I think this could be done in a 2wd FJ, it is more about length, than real difficulty. The harder sections I posted are on a spur trail. You should be fine.

Well, if people are interested, and they seem to be, then a date should be chosen. I had initially thought about the last weekend in June, but that might be too soon.

This is my schedule, for this summer:

These are the weekends I will be out of town, so far. The dates in bold, are set in stone. The dates in Italics are maybes. Only the dates set in stone are not negotiable. Please check this, when planning a run. I will update as nescessary.

Chiricahua Mountains Expedition (AZ), May 24th-26th
Official Mojave Road “Toga” Run June 7-8
White mtn pre-run June 13-15
Alder Creek camping trip June 20-22
Hootenany 2008 July 5
Californioa World music fest July 17-20
Lollapalooza Chicago August 1-3
Dusy-Ersam Run August 8-10
Outside Lands Festival August 22-24
North Rim Expedition (AZ) October 1-5
Oakflat Lookout October 17-19

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.