FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coordinates for the entrance: 33.659139,-117.58557

There have been many a thread on here and the blue room regarding this place. IMO, It is not worth the drive if you live outside of south orange county (theres just better 4x4 stuff out there).


I've ran this trail/road at least a good 100 times. All of last summer, i went almost every afternoon, since it was either on the way to, or on the way home from my ex's place. I have every turn, whoop, and rut memorized (sad, i know, given it's almost 5 miles front to back). But why the Shakedown trail? Well, i use it for anytime i bolt on a new mod. Seriously, if it doesn't fall off or break there, then you put it on right.

You can drive literally ANYTHING front to back, from a Unimog, to a Ferrari. The dirt is road is that smooth-ish (especially after they grade it every year or so). It's the offshoots that make it fun.


Some Basic History:
The canyon was named for James T. Smith, who was known as"old cussin' Jim" because of his colorful language. A beekeeper who settled in the north fork of Trabuco Canyon, he enlarged a house built in the 1870s and planted figs.

When government surveyors plotted the canyon they chose "Holy Jim," rather than "Cussin' Jim", to place on their maps. They thought this was more appropriate.

Aliso Creek/Holy Jim Creek runs the length of the road, and crosses it at about 6 points. Right now, you could make your way a bit up the road, and even catch some fish (We tried today, but they were quick as hell.. black and about 6" in length). When it's stormy, the creek RAGES! The place is a mud pit and at time's can definitely test your snorkel. When it is dry (even wet), It is a great place to test your rock rails and skids. You can maneuver through the creek bed for a couple of miles.. great for learning tire placement!

You can flex your suspension everywhere, you can bob back and forth on two wheels, you can roll, total your new truck... like i said, everything is doable in Holy Jim.


The road is, an actual road (Trabuco Creek Rd.). It has a posted Speed Limit of 15 mph ( you can get ticketed for speeding.. i have seen it happen many a time). BUT, the bad thing about Holy Jim.. Rumor has it, once you leave the road, it is illegal. I am not 100% on this, but i know Air2air has been ticketed there before. So, play at your own risk.

Anyone wanting to go and explore, i will gladly take you over everything and go everywhere through the place and even show you the super secret trail.

The super secret trail (that is the r/c air strip, and the creek bed down below):


Now for the Random pic's of the trail:

Flexin, Posin, The beauty of the place..



Santiago Peak (Saddleback Mtn.) in the background.




Swimmin


Wild Life (Camo'd deer in there somewhere):


There's actual fish, salamanders and frogs in there..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.


The super secret trail


Wait. I have used the restrooms at the airport there. I don't remember a trail there. Where does the trail lead to? I have never driven in the creek. Is that something you can do. I also like the Pic of you in the muddy water. I have one somewhere of me in the same puddle from a few months back. Dam, I may need to hit up that place again on Saturday. ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

Great write up Dom. I've also been out there many, many times. I even totaled my first truck on the main road back in '91. I jumped it into the side of the mountain, but that's a story for another day. :)
 

·
Santiago Peak Tour Guide
Joined
·
11,488 Posts
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

Dom,

Your super secret trail is that the one that you go to the left and up on the way into the canyon?. It had a rusty old gate half open last time we were there. I wasn`t sure if that was private property or not so I didn`t go. Is it open to the public? I hear it connects to Main divide is that true? I did get busted doing some of the side trails, I was out there messing around off the main road and someone with a bull horn told me I was trespassing and to get out. I also had 3 sheriffs look at me like they wanted to shoot me when they caught me up on that hill on the right( the only climb in HJC ) so yeah its fun but you play at your own risk.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

Sanderhawk said:
Dom,

Your super secret trail is that the one that you go to the left and up on the way into the canyon?. It had a rusty old gate half open last time we were there. I wasn`t sure if that was private property or not so I didn`t go. Is it open to the public? I hear it connects to Main divide is that true? I did get busted doing some of the side trails, I was out there messing around off the main road and someone with a bull horn told me I was trespassing and to get out. I also had 3 sheriffs look at me like they wanted to shoot me when they caught me up on that hill on the right( the only climb in HJC ) so yeah its fun but you play at your own risk.

Yes thats the trail.. i'm not sure where it goes since i have not attempted the whole thing yet. I wont dare enter if the gate is shut, but usually it's open (never locked though).

The guy you hear with the bullhorn is the house up against the north side/cliff. Their drive way is about a 1/4 mile into it, with a sign that says "the parkers". The guy threatens to shoot sometimes.. IMO it's just damn funny.
 

·
NOT a moderator!
Joined
·
3,224 Posts
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

hey Dom, what do you know about Black Star Canyon Road? I've read some really freaky stuff! I think we need to make a midnight run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

How long is that trail Dom it looks fun. Closest thin I've got is Otay. There is a great trail in our south east county called "pancake rock" I'm not sure if it has reopened since the fugging fires though. We need to organize a run to pancake rock sometime.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

FJ-Piper said:
hey Dom, what do you know about Black Star Canyon Road? I've read some really freaky stuff! I think we need to make a midnight run.
You know, i always hear about it, but i am not sure exactly were it is. I know where black star canyon road is (in fact i was on it today), i just don't know where the trail head is.

Frogeye said:
How long is that trail Dom it looks fun. Closest thin I've got is Otay. There is a great trail in our south east county called "pancake rock" I'm not sure if it has reopened since the fugging fires though. We need to organize a run to pancake rock sometime.

It's about 5 ish miles front to back. Definitely not worth the drive for you though. I don't recommend it if your more than 30 minutes away.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

33.74960692431739, -117.6719856262207

"blackstar canyon rd"
 

·
NOT a moderator!
Joined
·
3,224 Posts
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

Dom, This is just begging for us to go huh?

"As is true with all wilderness areas, it is recommended that those exploring the canyon do not travel alone, especially at night.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Star_Canyon"
"

I have been wanting to purchase a Mini 14 Stainless with synthetic stock and i think I just found the reason. We should plan a midnight run trip in like ummmmm 10 days. :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

im going to leave in about 30 minutes to go check it out.. ill have a mini report later.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,599 Posts
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

FJ-Piper said:
I have been wanting to purchase a Mini 14 Stainless with synthetic stock and i think I just found the reason. We should plan a midnight run trip in like ummmmm 10 days. :)
Someone rang? ;)

John "gundoc" at Great West Gunsmithing, worked his magic on mine. Package B - trigger job, Accraglass with atomized aluminum stock bedding, barrel cut to 16.5", crown and thread combo, gas port bushings, Smith muzzle brake, and a recoil buffer.




Yes, 3.5lb pull!!! :D
 

·
NOT a moderator!
Joined
·
3,224 Posts
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

GTKrockeTT said:
Someone rang? ;)

John "gundoc" at Great West Gunsmithing, worked his magic on mine. Package B - trigger job, Accraglass with atomized aluminum stock bedding, barrel cut to 16.5", crown and thread combo, gas port bushings, Smith muzzle brake, and a recoil buffer.




Yes, 3.5lb pull!!! :D
So where is the best place to get one? I am going to buy early next week.
 

·
NOT a moderator!
Joined
·
3,224 Posts
Re: Holy Jim, the Shakedown Trail.

DominicG said:
im going to leave in about 30 minutes to go check it out.. ill have a mini report later.
I just went by there. The gate is closed. So I'm at Holy Jim right now. The tablet pc is working well. Heading home now. So did you Find the Black Star Canyon Trail?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Black Star Canyon Rd

Unless there's a trail that I don't know about, BSC Road has been closed for well over a decade. Plus, all the land surrounding the road has "No Tresspassing" signs posted by one of the branches of the US Military.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top