FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
Joined
·
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well It was a great day in my opinion. very informative hands on training. I want to thank everyone who showed up I know it was kind of a hike to get there. Also Big Mahalo to Muddygrrl and cowboy4x4 for all the demonstrations and knowledge they shared. and one last big shout out to all those who stuck after to run the main divide. Only one rig almost rolled :eek: all in all a great day with great people. Beautiful veiws in all directions from up there, especially the wildflower painted hillsides in the valley, looked like neon fire. I hope the pictures and videos get posted tonight. Cant wait till the next event and the one after and so on. Aloha!



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

Sorry I missed it...Had to change a fuel pump in the sons car....Internal at that....I hate dropping the fuel tank.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,813 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

FunJunkie said:
Only one rig almost rolled :eek:
Is this the same Main Divide that's located in Orange / Riverside Counties? If so, how'd someone almost roll on that trail? Last time I was on it, it was a pretty well kept fire road.

Really wish I had noticed this event before it happened. I'd have definately been there, winch in hand and ready to learn.
 

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
Joined
·
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

Kokopeli said:
Is this the same Main Divide that's located in Orange / Riverside Counties? If so, how'd someone almost roll on that trail? Last time I was on it, it was a pretty well kept fire road.

Really wish I had noticed this event before it happened. I'd have definately been there, winch in hand and ready to learn.
it is still well maintained but there are a couple little side trail loops and the first one went up pretty high then came down at about a 30 to 35 downcline with loose rocks and big ruts. Well over the CB I stated not to follw if you are worried about your skills and or truck, well I guess the message didn't get through somehow and everyone followed. Kals wife even did it. it was a bit squirly coming down and I think he locked his brakes as he slid into a rut and almost went end over. luckily the rut straigtned him out and got down with little more than skidmarked undies and ghost white faces. lol. Learened something, always have a spotter, even if nobody asks for one.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

FunJunkie said:
it is still well maintained but there are a couple little side trail loops and the first one went up pretty high then came down at about a 30 to 35 downcline with loose rocks and big ruts. Well over the CB I stated not to follw if you are worried about your skills and or truck, well I guess the message didn't get through somehow and everyone followed. Kals wife even did it. it was a bit squirly coming down and I think he locked his brakes as he slid into a rut and almost went end over. luckily the rut straigtned him out and got down with little more than skidmarked undies and ghost white faces. lol. Learened something, always have a spotter, even if nobody asks for one.
Here is the picture moments before it happened.



Mike I think you were the one that yelled "Oh no!" so my camera man and I both looked up, and he missed the shot when it happened.

That was definitely pucker factor right there! Glad to see their good driving to them out of it safely 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,599 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

anyone know if they were on 4lo and in what drive? seems like they were riding the brakes instead of compression braking with the engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

That section is steeeep. We usually do it one truck at a time, not one behind the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,188 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

Yeah, that's me just on top, sitting and waiting to see what was gonna happen to them. Everyone waited in about the same place so we could see over the hood and down to the drivers below. Not sure if this picture is just before or just after the near tip over.

I don't really know what/how the whole thing happened. That rig was the only one with stock wheels and suspension, which might have contributed. I was totally waiting for the same thing to happen to me, but it was the only way down. I tried to stay out of the same line, but slide right down into the same ruts. No rise for me though. It was really a weird thing to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

I missed the first one. But I would be down for one again in the near future. Hope someone is willing to step up. I just bought a hi-lift and figured how to jack the car up but can't figure how to lower it down without just droping it. Thanks.
 

·
NOT a moderator!
Joined
·
3,224 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

Acetechno said:
I missed the first one. But I would be down for one again in the near future. Hope someone is willing to step up. I just bought a hi-lift and figured how to jack the car up but can't figure how to lower it down without just droping it. Thanks.
Be careful! These things have been known to cause serious injury when not used properly. At a minimum, read the instructions on the jack handle BEFORE you use it.
 

·
Ordinary Extraordinaire
Joined
·
8,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,188 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

Yep. Video taken, and downloaded to the computer. Now I just need some time to piece things together. Looks like we'll end up with a few videos.... Winch, Hi-Lift, Hi-Lift accessories, and Hi-Lift as a winch. Couple other tid-bits too.

I'm extra busy with work, school, family. Sorry, but the videos went to the back burner for a bit. Maybe in the next week or so I can get them done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

On saturday if somebody was to just show me how to use the Hi-lift, I would be forever greatful. Thanaks.
 
G

·
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

And maybe I could just watch and learn while Ace is shown how toi use the Hi Lift.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

CADavebert said:
Yep. Video taken, and downloaded to the computer. Now I just need some time to piece things together. Looks like we'll end up with a few videos.... Winch, Hi-Lift, Hi-Lift accessories, and Hi-Lift as a winch. Couple other tid-bits too.

I'm extra busy with work, school, family. Sorry, but the videos went to the back burner for a bit. Maybe in the next week or so I can get them done.
Backburner approach is understood... thanks for doing the vids!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,188 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

First video done. Now that I've got all the tools under control, the second one should be up soon. First up is winching. It is educational, and semi-entertaining.

Thanks to MuddyGrrl, Cowboy4X4, and Komombo. And of course to Funjunkie for making it happen.


Winching 101 on Vimeo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,188 Posts
Re: recovery gear training and main divide run

The hi-lift portion will be broken into 3 sections. I'm compiling now, but have to post up from home.

In the meantime.... I found that Hi-Lift has an extensive collection of videos on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ezumvHnvQ0
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top