Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anza Borrego Trail Inventory

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anza Borrego Trail Inventory

Here's a brief listing of trails that were run by the Gang back in September and a map image showing the trails. I also have a GPS coordinate file if anyone wants the added detail. I'd like to add other known, cool trails to this and also list trails that are a no-no from a known damage perspective or other hazards.

To those who know this area... please feel free to chime in with updates and corrections. I'll try to update my map if these seems valuable.

1 - Old Culp Valley Road to Jasper Trail to Grapevine Canyon (BLUE)
    2 - Rodrigues Canyon (RED)
    3 - South Carrizo Creek (GREEN)
    4 - Arroyo Tapiado (MAGENTA)

Other worthy trails
    5 - Canyon Sin Nombre (run by the recover crew) (YELLOW)
    6 - Chariot Canyon to Oriflamme Canyon (run independently) (LIGHT PURPLE)
    7 - Fonts Point off of the Borrego-Salton Seaway. Fonts Point is a really cool place to camp as you're high on a overlook of the entire Borrego Badlands. Kind of short but great views... (SALMON/FLESH)
    8 - Inspiration Wash to Borrego Sinks Wash (Light Lime - Florescent Baby Diaper Poo Green)
    9 - Goat Trail to Blow Sand Canyon (Burnt Umber, Yellow - Orange)

Note - all these trails were easily driven by a stock FJ in 2011. Trails and conditions vary - your mileage may vary...

Here's some other trails recommended by the larger community. Will post more info as it arrives.

a )Sandstone Canyon - looks really cool to run - a very narrow canyon that branches off of the Seco del Diablo route immediately below. Subsequent forum feedback gives this a "go". (Shown in Orchid - which is a light purple for the color challenged which includes me)
    b) Arroyo Seco del Diablo to Fish Creek to Split Mountain - looks like a cool way to connect the S2 to 78/Split Mountain Road. This route is now highlighted in Orange on the trail map. Note the del Diablo Drop-off - feedback says it can be climbed, and it seems this route is a winner. (Shown in Orange)
    c) Buttes Pass Road to Cut Across Trail to Arroyo Salado - looks like a cool way to connect the 78 to the S22 (Shown in Borrego Earth, a.k.a. Brown)
    d) Dos Cabezas Road to Volcanic Hills to Jojoba Wash (one way, south to north?) (Shown in Sky Blue)
    e) Coyote Creek - Note the summer season trail closure, there's a cool camping spot up the Sheep Canyon offshoot. This route has been tamed down recently. It used to have some serious water fords but this is now unknown. This route DOES NOT connect to the 371. It's an "out and back". :( (Shown in Yellow)
    f) Pinyon Mountain Rd - DIFFICULT one way road, west to east, dangerous to FJs due to, "The Squeeze", which could cause body damage if you're not experienced with spotting and leveling out the truck to avoid a body shift due to uneven terrain. Some FJs have made it successfully through the squeeze, others have had dented body panels and broken windows. After the Squeeze you'll hit "Heart Attack Hill", a.k.a Pinyon Drop Off, which has caused more than one rig to tumble a$$ over tea kettle due to inexperienced spotters and/or drivers. In spite of the two hazards, the route sounds spectacular and remote. (Shown in Turquoise)

Last edited by bajaraja; 12-06-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1326 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Anza Borrego Trail Inventory

great! thanks scott!

-Bailey

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good list and map. I've done del Diablo in my FJ totally doable with a little spotting here and there. No big boulders. Few squeeze sections but no worry of body damage. A few steep climbs and descents depending on which way you take the trail. We usually run this from Split Mountain to Fish to Diablo and turn around after you reach the plateau.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FJCForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

LostMani,

Thanks for the info. Did you climb the Diablo Drop-Off when running it North to South? Where exactly is the plateau?

I've updated the map with the route in Orange. Would love to get the extra detail so we don't steer anyone wrong. I'm thinking of running this over the coming holiday weekend and want to do it south to north so I can descend the drop-off.

Cheers
    Last edited by bajaraja; 11-21-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Member #
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blacktank and I ran Diablo and fish creek last August. We played at the drop off, going North to South several times. You need 4x4 to go up. Great info on the trails. Some pics in my report in the other section, if you are interested.
    Silver 08 FJ, AT, off-road pkg. I have some MODs now.
    Lacking in forum contribution and posting skills.

Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bajaraja View Post
    LostMani,

Thanks for the info. Did you climb the Diablo Drop-Off when running it North to South? Where exactly is the plateau?

I've updated the map with the route in Orange. Would love to get the extra detail so we don't steer anyone wrong. I'm thinking of running this over the coming holiday weekend and want to do it south to north so I can descend the drop-off.

Cheers
    If the drop off is what I think we went up it. 4x4 is required as well as through a few other rocky sections.

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the confirmation Pathfinder. So once you descend the Diablo drop-off heading north, you can swing north-west into Sandstone Canyon (you mentioned the sandstone canyons). I saw pics of that canyon, it looks really tight and cool. Then, backtracking a bit, you can explore Olla Wash and also swim up Fish Creek to Hapaha Flat Road?

Seems Hapaha Flat road becomes Pinyon Mountain road which is labeled as a West to East only road so one needs to be prepared to turn around before getting too far up the creek (and hitting the Squeeze?? haha Has anyone headed West up Fish Creek and Hapaha flat road till the Pinyon drop off or beyond?

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bajaraja View Post
    Trails to avoid and believed reason:

Pinyon Mountain Rd - One way road, west to east, believed to be not passible by FJs due to, "The Squeeze", which will likely cause body damage.
    Pinyon Mtn is doable and The Squeeze passable.

2012 Ginger of the Year FJJeremy's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    4111 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

So when are we going wheeling?
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by OcTowBoy1979 Hidden Content
    bobbie you are the worst person i have ever come across, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Member #
    Liked
    144 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Slavin, ok, the YouTube video shows the FJ doing it without damage, but there's also another picture of an FJ with it's back passenger side window broken out. Here's a possible summary/solution from the Blew room:

"I've since seen how to do it[the Squeeze]. It is low on the passenger side that is why it tilts into the rock besides climbing on the driver but when I went through there were no rocks stacked in the left. If you look at the rigs that have made it through you will see that there are alot of rocks stacked in the passenger side this evens the rig out at the most critical time. As an additional precaution I would air down alot on the driver and air up on the passenger this will also help the driver side grip the rock that it has to go up on and keep it from sliding off prematurly. I know you can get through go for it. Also do not be afraid to back up and re align they kept telling me not to back up when I thought I was going to hit and if I would have it might have made a difference. either way with the passenger side all the way down to the hard pan without any stacking I think I would have hit regardless."

So yes, if you're good and lucky you can get through the squeeze... But it seems there's a ton of other trails to hit before going for a high risk move.

Jeremy, BJ, anyone, I'm thinking of a possible Saturday run to hit trails a-d. With the goal of covering larger portions of the park now that we've mapped out/run some of the shorter, dense trails.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links