FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Joshua Tree Trails

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Mdtsdca 
#1 ·
I'm planning my first camping trip at Joshua Tree at the end of this month! I was wondering if there are any easy trails that I could take my 2wd FJ to? Any suggestion for hiking trails will also be helpful too. Thanks! :)

#3 ·
If you enter from Interstate 10 at the Cottonwood Springs Road/visitor center/camp ground, Pinkham Canyon Rd is very close to the visitor center. It's a long loop that exits near Cactus City rest stop on I-10. Does have some soft sand. To the right at the visitor center is a road to Lost Palms trail. 7 mile round trip hike. Go further about 7 miles on the main road, a dirt road branches to the right. It forks again to Pinto Basin and Black Eagle Mountain Road. Pinto Basin road is about 8 to 10 miles to Mission Well and Mission mine beyond the well. But a 2 wheel drive vehicle would have a hard time going past the well. Black Eagle Mine Rd is well maintained. It is bordered by Wilderness land so you can't venture off the main road. Also, it dead ends about 15 miles in. The map that Sparky of So Cal attached showing Geology Tour Rd is good too. Leads to some excellent hikes at Pushawalla Canyon. Berdoo Canyon Rd is usually passable to 2wd but it's got a fairly rough since summer rains.

#5 ·
I have GPS way points for Berdoo canyon. Pm me if you want them. I can't seem to upload them.

Reactions: m3pedro
#10 ·
I'm headed there this weekend with my family. I'm planning on doing Pinkham Canyon to Thermal Canyon to I-10, and Geology tour road. Those should be fine for a solo outing right? Any other easy trails I should think about doing?

I'm assuming I should air down, at least for the canyon trails, as they are supposedly pretty sandy?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.