FJ Cruiser Forum banner

2010/04/03 Mine Exploring around Joshua Tree

5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Cammo 
#1 · (Edited)
Had a great time out there today. We had six Fj`s in our group. We started off down Gold Crown road about 10:15am or so and The first road is mostly sand so we were hitting speeds of around 40mph or so. Fastest I ever drove on dirt it was pretty cool. We hit the Virginia Dale mine first it was cool looking but we couldn`t get in any of the tunnels so we were on our way pretty quick. I don`t know the rest of the mines names because we got " detoured or took the scenic drive a couple of times ":rofl: but we ended up at i`m thinking 5 or 6 mines correct me if i`m wrong. Our second mine we hit we got to go inside 200 ft or so it was cool. We found alot of ruins and even a big sand dune to play on out there. Found several mines that the shafts went straight down some of them hundereds of feet. It really gave me a weird feeling to be hanging over them trying to take a picture because if you fell in there was no coming out. We even found a beat to death car we were trying to drive up on but we were crushing it and we didn`t want to chance any flat tires. Everyone took a bunch of pictures so this should look pretty good in a couple days or so. My trip was 331 miles round trip it was a little farther then I was thinking but so worth the trip. I wouldn`t mind going out there to see the several dozen other mines we didn`t get to see. Very cool day with alot of very cool people. Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Mined Exploring around Joshua Tree 4-3-10

Just got home from the Gold Mine Run had a great time. The kids had a blast exploreing and bouncing around. Dan thank you for leading. Great wonderfull people on the run thank you all. Ill post pics tomorrow.

#3 ·

Same here. Me and my son Anthony had a great time in a couple of the coolest mines we've been in-and we've been in a few. I'll get the camera out and post up pics by tomorrow.

I'll say this, 2 wheel drive would have struggled if they could have made it all. There was some wheelin, that all of us might not have expected, and it was medium to difficult terrain that had me in L4 and using the lockers and ATrac more than a few times.

Dan (FJsRKool) and Charlotte were a great lead and Manny, Tim, Steve and the other Dan are all good folks. We had an awesome time and ready to go out again and see some of the other mines we missed this time out.

Thanks again all!
Tony

#4 ·

Dan (tonka)

Here is the website for that mine exploring I was talking to you about. http://www.undergroundexplorers.com

That mine we were in with the giant pit is called the supply mine. We need to get across that pit. If you check out the pictures here that mine goes on forever. It has ladders going to the lower levels and everything. Being at the pit is just the beginning.

#7 · (Edited)
Re: Mine Exploring around Joshua Tree 4-3-10

Thanks to those who came with us. You all helped make it a great trip. Even though we didn't get to all the specific mines that we had planned, I think we still saw at least as many mines. Yeah, we did take a few detours, and the trails were slightly harder than I expected, but everyone made it through fine. It was fun to see the kids having such a good time too!

Most of the mines we stopped at weren't on the maps, but the ones we made it to that were on the map are; Virginia Dale mine, the OK Mine, and the Supply mine.

Here is a link to my photo album where all my photos of the trip area, but I will post some photos below too.

http://public.fotki.com/fjsrkool/all-offroad-trip/2010-april-03-joshu/

Dan and Christine (Tonka07) at an unnamed mine

Mannee5 and family outside an unnamed mine

The climb down from the OK Mine.

Sanderhawk playing around

Tim climbing up to Supply mine

A rare mid-desert 3 car pileup with Dan (Tonka07) and Sanderhawk

#10 ·

Having never been to Joshua Tree and having missed this great run due to Easter family celebrations. I'm amazed at the lack of iconic tall cactus in the pics???

#11 ·

This was actually NOT in Joshua Tree, but rather on the back (North side) 14 miles outside of Twentynine Palms. And you're right, even on the drive back along hwy 62 was saw a lot of Joshua Trees, but none out where we were.

#13 · (Edited)
Youtube Video of Tony leading part of a run

My camera battery died shortly after I started filming, so this only shows a small part of the trail. At this point we had just passed through a moderately difficult, narrow wash and the trail started to improve, until I realized that I had sent us down the wrong trail and we had to backtrack about 1.5 miles to the correct one. The rest of the day had challenges including a partially washed out trail, which required some effort to get through, but we all made it fine.

#14 ·

Very cool, thanks for posting that up Dan. That was the more mild part of the trail. There was some good L4 stuff we got into right after this.

In checking out Sanderhawk's (Steve) link to that mine exploration site this place definitely requires a trip back. Let's look at getting back there late summer early fall if not before.

Great find on that site Steve and thanks again Dan for orgainizing a very fun day.
Tony

#16 ·

Looks like a great time. Missed this one :(

#17 ·

Tony I don`t know if I was talking to you or Dan but we were saying something about what would happen if we were in a mine shaft and there was an earth quake...we missed it by one day and we would have found out. I`d like to go back and see I bet those giant rocks that were cracking off the walls at the first mine are on the ground now.:biggrin:

#21 ·

Tony I don`t know if I was talking to you or Dan but we were saying something about what would happen if we were in a mine shaft and there was an earth quake...we missed it by one day and we would have found out. I`d like to go back and see I bet those giant rocks that were cracking off the walls at the first mine are on the ground now.:biggrin:
These are mostly in solid rock with some reinforcement. I would think they would come out better than some of the mud caves in Anza Borrego. Some of the cracks in there looked ready to go any minute. I'm curious how both fared though! Nice pix too, this one's definitely on my list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.