Like Tree25Likes

Thread: 2015 Ghost Town Expedition - Hosted by VFJC

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2015 Ghost Town Expedition - Hosted by VFJC

We were somewhere around Barstow at the edge of the desert when the druuuu....nevermind

The trip began Thursday the 27th of August, a few friends and I were on the road for the 2015 Ghost Town Expedition Run hosted by Nick of the Vegas FJ Cruisers. We left San Bernardino around 7:30PM and arrived in Las Vegas at around 11PM with a few stops along the way. First order of business....food....ok ok...beer, it was beer, but then we got food. Called a local pal who recently moved to LV; we were all like...bar...poker...craps...BAM!... its almost 3AM and I just lost too much money. Head back to our room at the luxurious Palace Station for a couple last beers and some sleep. Passed out...half beer in hand.

Woke up around 5:30 to my pals just getting back from the craps tables....turns out they made their money back....an all nighter....I am losing my touch. We met the group on the road..cuz you know...California time is different than Nevada time and all so...yeah...put the pedal down and spotted them at a gas station heading north on the 95. Our first stop was Goldfield, Nevada, a semi-abandoned ghost town and home to the notorious Goldfield Hotel.

Day 1 went something like... Vegas to Goldfield to Silver Peak to Blair to Coaldale to Candelaria to Hawthorne (base camp, night 1). Ran into a serious swarm of bugs heading to try to camp at Walker Lake, it was late and the sun had gone down. Never could find our way down to the beach, headed back to a little RV camp site down the road and called it an end to day 1 with brews.

Day 2 was Hawthorne to Fletcher to Aurora to Masonic to Bridgeport (base camp, night 2 & staging area for Bodie After Dark visit). There was a whole lot of time spent on dirt for this portion of the trek. Bodie at night was fun, but hard to see..for obvious reasons. If you have a nice camera and lenses you could capture some amazing long exposure shots, we spent some time with a few folks there looking over their shoulder at their captures. I look forward to visiting again, in the day time.

Day 3 brought us south on the 395 making our way to Bishop for a quick bite, fuel, and supplies. From there we made a straight shot to Cerro Gordo where we camped for night 3. I had a chance to talk with the caretaker over at Cerro Gordo, its an amazing place. The guy could use some help here and there with supplies, labor, etc; plus we get to keep a little bit of history alive and say we helped. I hope to organize something with Nick next year to do a Meet n Greet between the two groups. I also plan on doing something with just our group as well, more details to come. As you can see in the pics, its a beautiful place..there are a couple of building that can house the women folk and kiddos as well. The Bunkhouse has 6 rooms, 5 of which have beds.

A HUGE thanks to Nick and the VFJC fam I got meet on the run.

Trek Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...54&usp=sharing

Road into Cerro Gordo:
    https://youtu.be/-h2P0ALNlH8

Photos here:
    <blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/6z5DD"><a href="//imgur.com/a/6z5DD">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Breakfast of Champions...Beer and Oysters at 7AM!

This is the 2nd oldest Saloon in Nevada

Pictures continue a few comments down, maxed this one out and deleted my reserved post like a fool.
    Last edited by JunglistFJ; 09-11-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1028 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 2015 Ghost Town Expedition - Hosted by VFJC

You using a 3rd party host for photos? You can't upload straight to the forum.

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's my problem, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nos2Fly View Post
    You using a 3rd party host for photos? You can't upload straight to the forum.

Above all Cerro Gordo was my favorite place of the trip

The last murder committed in Cerro Gordo was committed by this guy, his house is still on the property; used as a gift shop of sorts.

Last edited by JunglistFJ; 09-14-2015 at 07:27 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FJCForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2435 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sounds like an awesome trip and love the report, Gabe. Can't wait to see them pics.
    JunglistFJ likes this.
    Trail Snail . SoCal FJ Cruisers AAT Team Liaison . Como Chingas OffRoad
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    1225 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

waiting for pics!
    JunglistFJ likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pics added

Heading up the Salt Tram Road Trail into the Swansea Loop; nice challenging trail

The Salt Tram

Last edited by JunglistFJ; 09-14-2015 at 07:40 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2435 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Excellent photography! So much to see in those towns!
    JunglistFJ likes this.
    Trail Snail . SoCal FJ Cruisers AAT Team Liaison . Como Chingas OffRoad
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Santiago Peak Tour Guide Sanderhawk's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    1975 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That looks like a real cool trip. Although theres no way I could stay up that late and then drive again all day.
    JunglistFJ likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1225 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Ive only been to death valley once and looking forward to going back later this year when it cools down a bit, I would be most definitely in for a mini adventure and to to help the caretakers any way I can.
    DoubleR and JunglistFJ like this.

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Doug! There is a whole lot out there to explore, I am glad I joined in on this trip.

Glad to hear Moody! Hoping we get some interest from others as well. There is an old saloon on site that has fallen in on itself, Robert mentioned he would like to try to get it back up on its feet so it can accommodate visitors in the future. In terms of wood, its all already there; it just requires some time and manpower to accomplish the task. Nick and I are talking about a meet n greet there early to mid next year; I think we could plan some things at that time as well. There is plenty of space to camp, 1 house (it belonged to the founder) and I believe it has 2 beds, there is also the bunkhouse which has 5 beds, and plenty of open space to set up tents. I slept in my RTT out under the full moon and stars. Robert is very nice, and knows the history of the town really well. Hearing him tell us stories about the town was a blast. If possible I hope to make another trip this year for a weekend, if so, I will be sure to post. There were a couple small tasks he may need some help with; things like weed/fire abatement etc.
    BigDouggieDoug likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links