Like Tree18Likes

Thread: round lights vs light bar

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

round lights vs light bar

So I'm starting to look into my lighting choices for the fj. I like the classic look of the round fog lights on the bumper, the two driving lights and two spot lights mounted on the roof rack(4 total). Maybe in the eight inch range. But then I see the majority of fellow fj'ers are running light the light bar on top and the smaller on on the bumper. can you chime in with some pros and cons? At the end of the day I'll go with functionality and not really looks. Thanks guys..

Member #
    Liked
    107 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: round lights vs light bar

I have the factory round lights on the bumper and ran those for a few years. While they did add to the overall illumination they were almost worthless off road because they vibrated so much on the bumper that it looked like strobe lights going down the road. It was extremely distracting and annoying. I went with the 52 inch curved light bar on top and a couple of smaller cubes down low. There is absolutely no comparison. The light bar lights up the desert like it is daytime. The lights down low help eliminate some of the shadows in rough conditions. If you want function LED light bars are the only way to go. They are pretty cheap now and worth every penny off road.
    Trickpatrick likes this.
    08 Sandstorm, Baja rack with 50" LED light bar, Demello hybrid sliders, Icon 2.5's front and rear with Icon UCA's, US Offroad bumper with two 2" LED's, Enco 9,000lb winch, synthetic line, CB and Ham radio.

Member #
    Liked
    1752 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I am on my third complete set of lights, started with round HIDS, now using LED bars on the roof, on top of the bumper and some Rigid ultra narrow spot in the bumper.

The bumper light levels provide great trail rendition and range, I prefer them over my overhead roof bars because low lights lets you see shadows much better giving a strong depth que. Overhead while lights up the area, flattens terrain appearance.

Point a bright LED flashlight down a dark trail, hold it over your head and then lower it to your knee. The difference is huge.

After getting a warning from a ranger in Anza that trails are just unpaved roads and state requires offered lights must be covered on all roads, and can only be uncovered in OHV Off Road areas.
    So I am planning on switch my lights to Rigid SAE units. Mounted on the bumper is compliant with state regs and require no covers, you can even use them on the street with your high beams - entirely legal. One set is SAE fog the second SAE aux headlights (big) lots of good light. Cost 3x china bars, but less than a ticket, wish I started with these.

https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industr...ords=rigid+sae
    https://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industr...ords=rigid+sae

The china bars make for cheap ambient light, but lack focused beam control for good down range lighting.

Baja designs make excellent lights, but not SAE legal for road use.

Name:  IMG_7159.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  2.06 MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    FJCForums.com
    Advertisements

Santiago Peak Tour Guide Sanderhawk's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    1975 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Light bar turns midnite into high noon at a push of a button. Round lights aren`t even 10 % as bright. I run LEDs all around my truck now. That UFO you see hovering around the top of the mountain at night when you look up is just me doing a night run on my local trails

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What are everyone's recommendations for LED lights? I'm looking at tackling the project at the end of the year. I never got around to installing my two Hella Rallye 4000 halogens on my front bumper (or the ones for my roof rack) that i bought years and years ago and now technology (and price) has passed me by.

Santiago Peak Tour Guide Sanderhawk's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    1975 times
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardluck View Post
    What are everyone's recommendations for LED lights? I'm looking at tackling the project at the end of the year. I never got around to installing my two Hella Rallye 4000 halogens on my front bumper (or the ones for my roof rack) that i bought years and years ago and now technology (and price) has passed me by.
    I just bought a 42 in. Light bar from Amazon. Its made in china. I`ve had it for about 2 yrs so far and its working great and does not leak. It only cost $102 so no need for the uber expencive light bars.

Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Thanks for the run rundown guys.Very helpful. And thanks for the attachment too. I'm going to start narrowing my choices between rigids and baja's stuff.

Member #
    Liked
    1225 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

HIDs still throw more concentrated light down to see the furthest. Best is to run both, don't forget Amber/yellow covers to see in the dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Val0904 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3768 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The only light I need at night is the one over the cocktail table. Typically that is a single LED powered by 4 AAA batteries. Keys hanging on the antenna. I'm a fuddy dud.
    Val0904, FJJeremy and Hawk like this.

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Forum Regular siick motorsports's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Working and being around both led and HIDs lights on a daily basis. Comparing name quality brand products. Price wise u get more lumens per dollar in an HID than u do in a comparable LED light. U will get more distance with an HID light. LED technology is constantly improving and getting better and better. I personally run both types of lights on my truck, makes for a good set-up.round hid up top and led on the bottem . Led lights produce a lot of light in a smaller footprint making ideal to mount in reduced spaces. Don't bother with halogen lights.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    Val0904 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links