Man-A-Fre Aux Fuel Tank Issues/Help?

FJ Cruiser Forum

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By moodywizard
  • 1 Post By COMMO155
  • 1 Post By Blown383
  • 2 Post By COMMO155

Thread: Man-A-Fre Aux Fuel Tank Issues/Help?

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Man-A-Fre Aux Fuel Tank Issues/Help?

I have a 2014 FJ in progress. My next step after my trip to the FJ Summit is to do a suspension upgrade and after a little pucker factor between fill ups I need/WANT an aux fuel tank.

Living in Ca has anyone had issues with Smog checks with the Man-A-Fre aux fuel tank installed?

I'm not worried about the install as I can usually beat stuff into submission with a proper application of force. Just worried about looking at a pile of expensive parts I had to take off once a year for bullsh-t. Another reason to get out of California. Yes I'm looking.

Member #
    Liked
    1225 times
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Re: Man-A-Fre Aux Fuel Tank Issues/Help?

As long as it passes visual inspection, that's all you have to worry about. I don't think the smog guy will notice anything, they don't even run the fj on a dyno they just hook it up the obd port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Blown383 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

All I've ever really seen them do is check to see if you have a good gas cap gasket. I'm probably going to man up soon and pull the trigger on this. I plan on painting it for a little more corrosion resistance.
    moodywizard likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FJCForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the Man-A-Fre tank and passed on both the dyno and the plug in OBD II port. No issues at all as long as you don't have any vacuum leaks.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by COMMO155 View Post
    I have a 2014 FJ in progress. My next step after my trip to the FJ Summit is to do a suspension upgrade and after a little pucker factor between fill ups I need/WANT an aux fuel tank.

Living in Ca has anyone had issues with Smog checks with the Man-A-Fre aux fuel tank installed?

I'm not worried about the install as I can usually beat stuff into submission with a proper application of force. Just worried about looking at a pile of expensive parts I had to take off once a year for bullsh-t. Another reason to get out of California. Yes I'm looking.
    monflores11 likes this.
    2012 Porsche Cayenne - Grocery getter
    2008 FJ Cruiser - "modified"
    2000 Mazda Miata - Slammed go cart
    1997 Camaro Z28 - 383 LT1 -ATI D1 Procharger

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks B

I pulled the pin this morning and ordered it. After throwing up in my mouth at the price I have to come out of retirement and get a job. They banned me from selling blood after I passed out in the waiting room scaring everyone. Too much blood lose I guess. LOL! I've been stressing over how to carry gas for a while. I just couldn't get comfortable with a bunch of jerry cans all over the place. This way will be so much more convenient. I went to the FJ Summit for the first time this year and learned a lot about my FJ. Thanks again for the info.

S
    Blown383 and Sanderhawk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well it has been a few weeks since my Man-A-Fre tank install and except for a few odd quirks it works. At first the fuel gauge read between one-half and three-quarters of a tank after fillip. Then it went to zero and stayed when I filled up the main tank from letting it fall to one- quarter tank and for two refills it stayed at zero. I was on a trip to Idaho so I figured it was broke and made plans for a better sender unit upon return. Well when filling up in Boomtown Nevada everything now works! The aux fuel gauge now reads a full tank! I get the impression that the tank was getting rid of a trapped air bubble or something? Hydraulics/fuel/pressure science is not my area of expertise.

I have had NO error codes of any kind. My theory is as long as you keep at least one tank full, 19+ gallons on board so the the computer sees ONE tank you should NOT get any codes. I think that when the computer does its check and trys to pump down what it thinks is 19 gallons of volume, it Times Out, assuming the leak. It is programmed that is should take X amount of time or less to pump down a 19 gallon tank. With a larger volume the computer times out and throws a code.

Ill see see if I'm right. Film at eleven.

Member #
    Liked
    1752 times
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I run my tanks down to just a few gallons, and still haven't thrown a code. '10 plus had some evap modifications, may be different for pre'10.

My aux fuel gauge was wonky when first installed. Turned out to be the neoprene washers I used on the mounts were breaking the ground. Made a good ground to the aux tank and no more gauge issues.

Sponsored Links