• 1 Post By jetflyr

Thread: Weather Stripping for Footwell Leak

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Weather Stripping for Footwell Leak

Hey all! I did some searching but couldnít find exactly what pieces of weather strip folks are replacing to stop water in the footwell. Iíve been finding water in the driver footwell and cargo area. Pretty sure the door and window seals are leaking because the headliner is dry as a bone. A full set of rubber is in the ballpark of $700 so I was curious if anyone found specifically which seals fixed a leak issue. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Weather Stripping for Footwell Leak

Quote Originally Posted by jetflyr View Post
    Hey all! I did some searching but couldnít find exactly what pieces of weather strip folks are replacing to stop water in the footwell. Iíve been finding water in the driver footwell and cargo area. Pretty sure the door and window seals are leaking because the headliner is dry as a bone. A full set of rubber is in the ballpark of $700 so I was curious if anyone found specifically which seals fixed a leak issue. Thanks!!

Two separate leaks (driver & cargo) point to a roof rack leak. Door rubber seals should not be failing unless rips & tears are visually noticeable. Play with a garden hose & force the leaks to happen before spending money on replacement seals.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelinyotas View Post
    Two separate leaks (driver & cargo) point to a roof rack leak. Door rubber seals should not be failing unless rips & tears are visually noticeable. Play with a garden hose & force the leaks to happen before spending money on replacement seals.

Iíve pulled back my headliner and it doesnít seem to be leaking from there. I also resealed the rack bolts. My understanding is that the door seals on the Ď07 year were a bad design and were updated for 08 or 09. Iíll recheck for roof leaks but I know for sure the rear window seal is leaky.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FJCForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1234 times
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I would say roof rack as well...
    the headliner is sort of water proof meaning unless it's a ton of water you most likely won't see evidence but water will roll forward and down inside the A pillar and onto the floor...
    but if you resealed them then not sure lol...
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Completed projects:
    Hidden Content , Hidden Content , Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Current Projects: started blacksmithing and bladesmithing.

---------------------------------------Hidden Content Check it out: Hidden Content

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JFleckFJ View Post
    I would say roof rack as well...
    the headliner is sort of water proof meaning unless it's a ton of water you most likely won't see evidence but water will roll forward and down inside the A pillar and onto the floor...
    but if you resealed them then not sure lol...
    That was a few years ago so Iíll definitely take another look. Gonna pull the interior to let it dry and run a hose over everything. Thanks guys!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So quick update... Iím sitting in the FJ with the headliner removed and itís raining. I replaced the rear door seal because itís obviously were the water was getting in under the cargo area. The forward leak was the roof rack, like you said, but itís coming from the middle mounting points. Itís getting in and running forward along the roof to then drop down trough the a pillar tot he floor. Not sure I wouldíve found it without removing the headliner. When I sealed up the rack previously I focused on the forward and rear because the water was just blow those points. Now I see I shouldíve focused on all of them. Thanks for the help!

wheelinyotas likes this.

Sponsored Links