FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Free/low cost shooting locations

11K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  BeachinFJ 
#1 ·
Does anyone know for sure of a safe/legal location for free/low cost shooting? I've got this new 9mm I'm dying to try out. I'm in Corona with some time on my hands at the moment.

#4 ·
Tim I go to Burro Canyon by Azusa to shoot its $10 its ok. I heard there is one by you prado dam shooting range but I haven`t been to it yet. These are outdoor ranges since I have rifles. Hope this helps. I have a shotgun i`m in the middle of waiting my 10 day for its a remington 870 I get to pick it up on 7-5-10 which is a monday. I`m going to have to wait the entire week to go shoot it. My next purchase is going to be a 45 cal pistol which ever brand is best or close. Steve

#5 · (Edited)
I've wondered this myself. Found a place called "Bee Canyon" (5S07) on a couple of shooting forums. It's a free shooting spot, and pretty safe since each of the shooting areas is in a canyon. If you like shooting for free, and remember the old "lucky to come out alive" Lytle Creek shooting area, you should like it, because its nothing like the craziness that place was.

To get there: its off Hwy 74 east of Hemet on your way up to Idyllwild. You pass by a ranger station just before you turn off. Follow the trail up into the canyon, then you just drive till you find a canyon available and park.

I walked in to the ranger station and talked to one of the forest service folks and he said the area is open as long as the forest road is open. All he added was: no tracers, no armor piercing, pack the trash out that you take in, and try to shoot only in the canyons, oh and no Adventure Pass needed.

I went up the San Jacinto Ridge trail with the family on Father's Day, saw a few people shooting, and I'll definitely go back.

Happy shootn'

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/2857918

Attachments

#10 ·
This is where I go but I live in Hemet as well. I did a meet and shoot out there once and we had a BLAST!!!! Problem is that it can get a little busy and you will want to get there early to get a good canyon.

#7 ·
When I was out on Otay truck trail, (specifically I think it was the chicken ranch/farm road area) way south closer to the border there were a couple of pretty deep valleys that people were shooting skeet at in a few different places. One was right near the sign for ridge top road near the high tension lines. I am thinking about going back with my rifle and shot gun to have some fun.

#8 ·
Thanks everyone. I'll check these out. BTW, I was up on the Cleghorn trail one saturday by myself and noticed a guy up on a ridge plinking away. It was my first time there without a map or anything and couldn't figure out how he got there so I couldn't ask him. Does anyone know about the legality of that area? It wasn't very far from the 15 as I remember.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.