FJ Cruiser Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Legally buying an AR-15 in California? Yup, it's true!

So a friend of mine has informed me a way to legally purchase and own an AR-15 in California but it's a bit tricky and if anybody here can elaborate, I'd appreciate it mucho grande! Here is what he said to me in an e-mail and I'm all over this if it's true.:

Good site to start at http://www.ar15.com/

Basically you'll read about ca legal AR-15 type rifles and the term "OLL"
    OLL means "Off List Lower" the CA DOJ has a published list of banned lower receivers.

You can get DPMS, Bushmaster, Stag,RockRiverArms, etc etc etc lowers, and then build your upper however you want.
    Only the lower get's registered.

I read a lot on www.calguns.net check out the forums there.

Mark your calendar for Costa Mesa Gunshow Jan24-25. I'm going on Jan24 bright and early.. I need some parts that will sell out quick
    For information on how to become a Ham Radio Operator, please contact our local Ham celebrity Gordon West @ http://www.gordonwestradioschool.com/

73 DE KF6LYF

Member #

Re: Legally buying an AR-15 in California? Yup, it's true!

I picked one up a couple of years ago at the San Diego gun show. There are legal ways to own one in California. The main thing is that it must have a non detachable 10 round magazine. I have an Smith & Wesson M&P 15T. It is made with a detachable magazine, but to make it legal you just need to replace the magazine release button with one that has a locking system that requires a tool to remove the magazine. Here is an example Mag Lock. To keep it legal you CAN NOT remove the magazine, even to load it. You must top load, a real PITA. But when your shooting out in the desert and there is no one around for miles to see you it only takes an allen wrench to back off the screw and the button works like normal:o.
    I'm the root of all that's evil, yeah but you can call me Cookie

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Since 2005 baby!

Read this:
    http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Interactive version
    http://calnra.com/cgi-bin/flowchart.cgi

Calguns.net is a great resouce, I'm a moderator there, so look me up if you ever have any questions on this. Make sure you have all your ducks in a row and questions answered before you begin a build. Unfortunately, the fine line between a legal build and one that can get you into a heap of trouble is one that is very easy to cross.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

I'd like to keep this simple with as little effort on my part as possible. ;D What I'm looking for is to recreate something as close to the M-16 A2 that I shot while in the USMC. Can someone post up a parts list or is as simple as going to Ades Gunshop and telling them I want the CA legal version of this and let them order it? http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=209

Thanks again for any help on this... I'm sooo excited, I can barely type! hahahaha
    For information on how to become a Ham Radio Operator, please contact our local Ham celebrity Gordon West @ http://www.gordonwestradioschool.com/

73 DE KF6LYF

Member #
    Liked
    1056 times

wow steve didnt know you were in usmc, but i would love to have an AR-15 *drool* what is it with fj guys and guns haha

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by FJ-Piper
    I'd like to keep this simple with as little effort on my part as possible. ;D What I'm looking for is to recreate something as close to the M-16 A2 that I shot while in the USMC. Can someone post up a parts list or is as simple as going to Ades Gunshop and telling them I want the CA legal version of this and let them order it? http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=209

Thanks again for any help on this... I'm sooo excited, I can barely type! hahahaha
    Can't go wrong with a STAG. I've built a few cal legal AR-15s on these lowers. Had a STAG 2H for a couple years, and it performed flawlessly, never had a single malfunction.

If you want to go with simplicity, definitely buy a complete rifle. For those that like to tinker, and configure an AR to their liking, go for broke and build one to your exact taste. It's really quite simple, and you gain a thorough understanding of the rifle, parts, maintenance, operation, etc in the process.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Thanks for the info everyone. At this point I'm more interested in just getting the rifle and putting that first round down range so I'll go with the Stag. I am a tinkerer but with all my current hobbies, I will pass on the build it myself thing this time. Wahoooooo! I'll definitely post a pic when it's in my hands. ;D

73 DE KF6LYF

Member #

I wanna buy a stripped lower, and build the rifle myself. It's been in the budget that I get one (about $150 or so for an aluminum lower, stripped of all parts) before Jan 20th. After that, I'm a bit worried about the legalities of buying ANY AR15's.

Oh, and Piper, at work in my safe I have an M16A1!! No shell deflector!!! Sweet piece of military history (early Vietnam era rifle)....with select fire switch (neutered sear).

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by FJDave
    I wanna buy a stripped lower, and build the rifle myself. It's been in the budget that I get one (about $150 or so for an aluminum lower, stripped of all parts) before Jan 20th. After that, I'm a bit worried about the legalities of buying ANY AR15's.

Oh, and Piper, at work in my safe I have an M16A1!! No shell deflector!!! Sweet piece of military history (early Vietnam era rifle)....with select fire switch (neutered sear).
    Dave I would think that you could get a pass and get a real AR with out having to worry about the cali parts. Whats the fun in being a cop if you can't even get the good guns. :(
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
    - Thomas Paine

Deutschbag Moderator Hanselhoff's Avatar

Member #
    Liked
    977 times

Quote Originally Posted by jeshua
    Dave I would think that you could get a pass and get a real AR with out having to worry about the cali parts. Whats the fun in being a cop if you can't even get the good guns. :(
    The fun stuff is still controlled in regards to buying. Must have department (chief) approval to purchase.

Forum "racer"/"expert"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Links